(Meat Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free | Paleo-Friendly) This little party of flavours came out in a desperate attempt to use all the veggies that were hanging out in my fridge and needed to be eaten before I went on holiday (AKA ‘vacation’). It is with this spirit of ‘chuck it in-what’s the worst that could happen?!’ that I encourage you to put your own twist on this recipe. Have some courgette (zucchini), carrots or basically any other veggie? Throw it on in there!
Stir Fry Ingredients
- Peanuts or cashews
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 6-8 button mushrooms, sliced
- A large handful of snap peas, whole
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into large chunks
Stir Fry directions
- Dry fry the peanuts/cashews in a large frying pan. This will only take a few minutes so don’t leave them unattended.
- Put nuts aside. Add 1-2 tbsp coconut oil to hot frying pan. Throw in chopped fennel, onion and garlic. Sautee for 5-7 minutes -depending on how you like your onions cooked.
- Add in red pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Thrown in mushrooms, snap peas and chopped tomatoes and cook to desired consistency (1-2 minutes to keep everything fresh or longer if you like the fully sautéed version).
Here’s how my stir-frying went:
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
- 125 ml (½ cup low) sodium soy sauce (or Tamari/gluten-free soy sauce if gluten free)
- 125 ml (½ cup) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp corn starch or arrow root powder (I only had gluten free flour in my house so I used that as a thickener instead- it worked out fine)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tbsp ginger paste or 1 tbsp ground ginger powder)
- 2 garlic cloves
Stir Fry Sauce Directions
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Makes about 250 ml (1 cup). Will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.
- If you want to just add sauce into the stir fry mix (instead of serving it as sort of dressing that you can add as desired), throw the sauce into the frying pan with veggies and cook for 3 minutes to allow the flour/corn starch to thicken the sauce.
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp bone broth or water
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Cauliflower Rice Directions
- Remove the cauliflower leaves and the tough end of the stalk. Use a food processor or the coarse teeth on a grater to grate the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces.
- Add the ghee/coconut oil to a pan with the grated cauliflower and the bone broth/water and stir to mix.
- Cook over medium heat, lid on, to let the grated cauliflower steam for 4-6 minutes until tender. After a few minutes, check to make sure that there is still enough water on the bottom of the pan to stop it catching. Once the cauliflower is tender, season to taste and serve.
Cabbage Wrap Ingredients
- One large head of green cabbage (washed and dried)
Cabbage Wrap Directions
- Cut off large piece of cabbage and use as wrap.
- Add cauliflower rice topped with the stir-fry mix and your toasted nuts.
- Wrap it up and enjoy! Here’s how my cabbage-wrapping went:
Makes 4 servings
Tips: If you don’t like the idea of a wrap, just skip the cabbage part and make normal stir-fry on a bed of cauliflower rice –topped with the nuts. Please note, do expect these wraps to be pretty messy when you eat them! They’re probably not the kind of thing you want to make for someone on a first date! 😉