(Gluten Free, Meat Free, Dairy Free | Paleo-Friendly) Some days I need a little afternoon pick-me-up so I head to the shop around the corner and try to find a healthy snack. Inevitably I end up paying at least £1 ($1.33) for a tasty Nakd Cashew Cookie Bar (AKA Cashew Cookie Larabar). However, when I finish that tiny little bar, I’m usually left hungry and feeling a little guilty that I paid too much for a snack that I can finish in 3 bites. Also, I know I can make a cheaper, more delicious/filling bar myself –so the guilt really sets in! In order to save yourself from the guilt, try out this recipe and discover your new favourite affordable, healthy (and crazy tasty!) snack.
- 230g (1½ cups) raw cashews
- 190g (1 cup) tightly packed pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water, if needed
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add cashews into a food processor and process for 3 to 4 seconds, until a coarse meal forms. (Or, for those of us who still only dream of a food processor, just throw everything into a high-powered blender.)
- Add in the pitted dates and vanilla. Process until the mixture comes together, for about 15 seconds, or longer if needed. The mixture should stick together easily when you squeeze it between your fingers. If it doesn’t stick or it’s still a bit crumbly, add a very small amount of water (1 teaspoon at a time) and process it again.
- Finally, add the salt, to taste, and the chocolate chips (if you’re including), and process briefly to combine.
- Line a loaf pan or a square pan with a piece of parchment paper so that there’s overhang to lift out the bars after freezing. Scoop the mixture into the pan and smooth out with your hand until it’s level. Push down firmly all over the mixture. The more you pack it down the better the bars will hold together. Roll out with a pastry roller if you have one.
Freeze, uncovered, for at least 15 to 20 minutes and then slice into bars. For on-the-go, wrap bars in plastic wrap or tin foil and store in the fridge or freezer. I love these babies straight outta the freezer!
Just look at these tasty little morsels! I want one right now.