(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Meat-Free | Paleo-Friendly) Christmas is right around the corner! We all know what happens when the holidays come around…maybe not the healthiest food choices? Yeah, me too. So before all of the holiday shenanigans I’m going to keep things light and healthy (or, at least try! #reallife). This salad was conspired by my sister’s mother-in-law, and it’s very flexible based on what you like! Don’t love kale? Cool, swap it for spinach! Feel free to make this salad into whatever you want it to be (or have in your pantry) and enjoy 🙂 Happy holidays! xx
- 1 x 250g (2 cups) quinoa (I cheated and used the pre-made quinoa because shortcuts are a must during this busy time of year!)
- 1 x 200g bag (3 cups) of curly kale
- Fruit of choice, chopped (my sister used blueberries and grapes; I tried apples and blueberries, but you could even use dried fruits if that’s what you have)
- Handful of nuts and seeds of choice (I used walnut and sunflower seeds because they’re always in my cupboard)
Ingredients for Dressing
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 handfuls of fresh herbs (I used a handful each of parsley, coriander (cilantro) and basil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put all of dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until mixed. Add more of fresh herbs or salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook your quinoa according to directions (if you’re not a cheater and didn’t buy pre-made quinoa) and put warm quinoa into large bowl.
- Pour all of dressing over warm quinoa and stir.
- Add curly kale and fruit (I used a small pack of blueberries and three apples, chopped). Toss.
- Top with seeds and chopped nuts.
Look at this tasty treat! Thanks Nancy and Joy for the inspiration! xx
Tip: Because of the toughness of kale, this salad can be made and eaten as leftovers for a few days after. We all know I love a packed kale salad for lunch. YUMMM.