(Gluten Free, Meat Free) It’s the weekend, and I have a real hankering for some nachos. Even though I try not to eat too much dairy, I sometimes just have to treat myself! So, here’s the recipe I made up, which sneaks vegetables into a notorious ‘junk food.’ Spoiler alert – kale is one of the sneaky vegetables that found it’s way into this treat! No surprise there I’m sure -what with the recipe’s name and all 😉 Enjoy!
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 onion, chopped (I used red onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped (or whatever pepper you might have)
- 100 g (1 cup) roasted vegetables (I had roasted onion, broccoli and potatoes in my fridge leftover but use whatever you have around)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 pack of taco seasoning (Yes, I cheated and used a pre-made pack of taco seasoning, but if you want to be less of a cheat, I’ve added a recipe for taco seasoning below)
- 3 handfuls of tortilla chips (or, I treated myself and used M&S Montery Jack Refried Bean Chips– YUM)
- Grated hard cheese (use however much is best for you. I used about 50g of mature cheddar)
- 2 handfuls of kale rubbed with a little bit of olive oil and salt
- Salsa (to top with -optional)
- Preheat oven to 170C (350F).
- Saute onion, garlic and pepper for 3-5 minutes.
- Throw in roasted vegetables (if you have some) and black beans until hot.
- Add in taco seasoning (homemade recipe below) with a few tablespoons of water. Cook for another 5 minutes until sauce is thickened and vegetables are cooked. FYI- You’ll only use about half of this vegetable mixture so throw the rest on some greens with salsa for lunch the next day!
- Put one layer of chips on baking tray and layer with 1/4 of vegetable mixture and cheese. Add another layer of chips, 1/4 vegetable mixture and cheese. Top with olive oil-rubbed kale.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and kale is a little crispy.
- Top nachos with some salsa, pop on a flick and bask in the glory of the nachos and the weekend!
Just look these beauties…nom nom nom.
What’s that? You want a close up of these sexy nachos? Okay fine! You’re welcome.
Mix the following ingredients together:
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)