(Gluten Free, Vegan | Paleo-Friendly) This week in my Kent Veg Box I got carrots, cauliflower and kale. Hmmm. What to make… TACOS! There isn’t much to say about these tacos except that you need to stop what you’re doing and go make them right now! They are THAT good. When I ran out of the leftovers of these I felt actual sadness. That’s how delicious they are. I stuck to the original recipe quite closely except that I didn’t have cabbage, and I needed to use carrots, so I made kale slaw (instead of coleslaw) with a lot of carrots, which was a revelation.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10-12 corn tortillas (I was feeling motivated and wanted to take a stressful day out on a rolling pin, so I made my own spelt tortillas using The Whole Food Diary recipe, which is insanely yummy. Here’s a picture of my tortillas, because I was feeling proud of my work)
BBQ Rub Ingredients
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika (I was out of paprika, and I like a bit of spice so I added cayenne instead)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup if need be –but will be harder to make into ‘rub’)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Creamy Lime (Kale)Slaw
- 3-4 handfuls of chopped kale (or cole slaw/chopped cabbage)
- 3-4 carrots grated (I had a lot of carrots to use so my kale slaw was pretty carrot-y)
- 115 g (½ cup) veganaise or mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp celery salt (I just used regular salt)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and dice onion finely. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Put cauliflower, onion and chickpeas into large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
- In a small bowl or jar, mix rub ingredients. Sprinkle rub onto veggies and mix with hands so they’re coated evenly.
- Bake veggies for 25-30 minutes until tender and slightly browned, turning once. Here are mine once they were all cooked up. MMMM.
- Put grated carrot and chopped kale into large bowl. Mix slaw dressing ingredients in smaller bowl and mix until creamy. Pour dressing over carrot and kale and toss until everything is evenly coated with dressing. Put in fridge until ready to serve.
- Fill your tacos with the deliciousness! I did about 4 tablespoons of cauliflower/onion/chickpea mix to 2 tablespoons of slaw and sprinkled with fresh coriander (cilantro) for added YUM.
Tip: These were simply amazing. So buckle up! Yes, that was actually my first tip. Also, I brought the cauliflower and slaw mix to work the next day in a bowl and brought the tortillas separately so I could make little tacos at work for lunch the next day. Boy, that was a treat!
Source | She Likes Food