(Gluten Free, Dairy Free | Paleo and Whole30-Friendly) Finding simple, tasty and healthy meals is a must –especially during the workweek! Many years ago when I was trying out the Paleo lifestyle for the first time, I found an amazing slow cooker chicken recipe. It was so good it became a ‘go-to’ recipe when friends came over for dinner during the week, and I was low on time. But, one day I woke up, and my beloved recipe link went missing on the internet! Nightmare! Luckily, I had made it so many times; the recipe was written on my heart (too dramatic?) -so I can share it with you today! You’re welcome.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4-6 sweet potatoes (depending on size of potatoes and slow cooker)
- 1 whole (organic) chicken with skin on
- 10 whole dates
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary, mashed and ground for more flavour
- 1 tbsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Spread coconut oil in bottom of slow cooker.
- Chop sweet potatoes into chunks and lay them on the bottom of slow cooker (make sure you don’t put too many sweet potatoes on the bottom –you want to be able to put chicken on layer of sweet potatoes and still put the slow cooker lid on).
- Lay chicken on top of sweet potatoes in slow cooker.
- Put dates and water in bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes to soften dates.
- Mash dates with fork. Add olive oil, fresh rosemary, and salt/pepper. Mash mixture together until it’s a type of paste.
- Put half of date and rosemary paste under skin of chicken. Rub the second half of chicken onto outer part of chicken. It should look something like this:
- Cover slow cooker and cook chicken on low for 4-8 hours. (When I used a 4 lb chicken, it took about 6 hours. The time will depend on the size of the chicken and your slow cooker.)
Tip: This also makes for a delicious, modern Sunday roast! Oh, and the leftovers are awesome in a salad for lunch the next day.