(Vegan) Never heard of a ‘spelteree?’ Yeah, I hadn’t either, but I can confirm, it’s delicious. This is a dead easy recipe that packs a lot more flavour than you’d expect. Its creaminess reminds me of a beef stroganoff, but vegan and tasting more like a curry. It’s kind of weirdly wonderful. I added the roasted cauliflower to original recipe for an extra packed punch of veg (and because I got cauliflower in my Kent Veg Box this week), but you can skip or use other roasted veg instead –I bet roasted aubergine (eggplant) would be yummy!
- 125g (1/2 cup) pearled spelt or pearled barley (I have even used quinoa)
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp coriander (cilantro) seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250g (2 cups) mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cauliflower head roasted, chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger (or powdered)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 150g (3/4 cup) spinach (or other green you might have)
- Zest of 1 lemon and the juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Throw ½ head of cauliflower in oven whole with olive and salt/pepper. Roast at 180C (350F) for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Rinse the grain you’re using (spelt, barley, quinoa) and soak in saucepan with water for 20-30 minutes, if you have time. Cover with plenty of water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to boil, lower the heat and put the lid on. Simmer until tender: about 20 minutes for spelt/quinoa or 40 minutes for barley. When the grain is tender, drain excess water and return to pan to stay warm.
- Use a pestle and mortar to grind cumin and coriander (cilantro).
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions with salt and fry for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Take roasted cauliflower out of oven and chop up.
- Add raw mushrooms and roasted cauliflower into frying pan and fry with onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add spices, ginger, garlic and chilli. Stir until mixed and then stir can of coconut milk into spices and veg until mixed thoroughly.
- Bring the coconut milk to a simmer for a few minutes and let bubble until reduced.
- Add spinach (or other greens like chard/spring greens/kale), a handful at a time, stirring it in as it wilts.
- Take the pan off heat. Add lemon. Add cooked grain. Stir well and top with added salt and pepper to taste.
Source: River Cottage Much More Veg Cookbook
2 thoughts on “Mushroom, Spinach and Cauliflower Spelteree”
wow this legit looks mouth watering! Thank you so much for your recipe. In case you want to try some super simple raw vegan dessert for the course after this You are welcome to check out my recently posted recipe:D Have an enjoyable day 😀 https://myjourneybacktolove.wordpress.com/2019/03/01/5-ingredient-coconut-bliss-balls-rv-gf-organic/
Pingback: Mushroom, Spinach and Cauliflower Spelteree — Peanut Butter & Bicycles | My Meals are on Wheels