(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Meat Free | Paleo-Friendly) I don’t need Pancake Day to eat pancakes (as we know, I LOVE brunch), but it’s a good excuse anyways! Here’s a healthier approach to pancakes that I love. These tend to make a lot of appearances on the weekends in my home with a bit of almond or peanut butter. Big surprise there…not (if you didn’t know, I love nut butter more than most of my family members…just kidding family! Love you! Proud of you!).
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 180g (1 ½ cups) spelt flour (or a gluten free flour)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin oil or coconut oil
- Mash 2 bananas with fork in large bowl.
- Add all other wet ingredients and whisk together.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on low to medium heat with oil of choice.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of mix per pancake in pre-heated skillet. As soon as the dollop is slightly browned on bottom, flip and press down with spatula to spread the mixture. Keep flipping pancakes until they’re evenly browned and cooked through.
- Enjoy with honey, maple syrup, fruit, cinnamon, etc. I chose to top with frozen fruit that I heated up, some banana slices and a few dollops of almond butter. MEGA YUM!
Tip: I eat the leftover pancakes and heat them up in the toaster so they get a little crispy to enjoy again J
Recipe inspired by Comfy Belly